Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kegels, get ready to laugh!

I was watching that Pregnant in Heels show that’s on Bravo a few weeks back and the chic on the show, I believe her name is Rosie, told one of her rich mom to be clients that she needed to start doing kegel exercises, or kegels for short, to help prevent incontinence after the mom gave birth to her kid. The mom looked at her like she was nuts and I busted out laughing myself because the whole topic makes me giggle to no end.

Take the word kegels for one, it sounds so silly! Like, tremendously silly! Dr. Arnold Kegel developed the exercises and that’s why they have the name they have. His parents must be so proud! Kegels is a word that sounds more like a disease than what it actually refers to, which is pelvic floor exercises. Not quite sure what I’m talking about? Well, kegels are exercises that a woman does to strengthen her pelvic floor muscles. To do them, a woman basically flexes her “special” muscles, so to speak, in five to ten second increments to strengthen them to help with incontinence, birth, and other female problems that woman have. And yes, using the word “special” in this instance is totally making me laugh again. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

On the show, Rosie suggested to her mom to be client to do up to 200 a day. To me, that sounds a tad excessive and her argument was that you could pretty much do them anywhere, so, she thought the number was attainable. From what I’ve ready online, 50 to 100 is good or doing them for five minutes at a crack three times a day is also an option. Basically, just doing something is better than doing nothing at all and I’ve become pretty dedicated to getting my kegels in (yes, still laughing about the name and now about my dedication) due to the fact that I’ve heard horror stories about what birth does to your body and I want to be able to recover as fast as possible afterwards. So, I’m hoping the more kegels I do (another giggle), the better off I’ll be. I’ll guess we’ll just have to see if that thinking holds true!

Okay, I think that’s enough talking about kegels for now since if I continue, I’m going to be rolling on the floor laughing my butt off. I just wish the guy would have just used a different name, seriously Arthur, why couldn’t you have been more humble and come up with something else?  Geez man, you’re killing me!

Okay, now I’m really done with talking about kegels and the only other thing I want to mention today is how filling out thank you cards can be overwhelming. And I don’t know why? It’s not something that is hard to do, but I’m thinking what makes it overwhelming for me is due to the fact I have horrible handwriting. I write so bad and am so self-conscience about it that it takes me forever just to write one thank you note. However, it needs to get done because I want everyone to know how appreciative I am for coming to the baby shower and the presents that they gave! You rock and thank you!

Until next time, it’s Carla the pregnant tomboy signing off!  

No comments:

Post a Comment