Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Target to the rescue!

When we were not able to purchase the nursery furniture that Dave and I wanted for little Billy Bubba over the weekend, I was a bit upset to say the least. Actually, I’ll go one step further with that and be totally honest, I was completely freaking out because the whole incident made me feel like I wasn’t in control of the situation and our baby boy was going to have to sleep in a suitcase or something. Not good. Could you imagine? I did and it made me feel like an unfit mother before he was even born! LAME!

After getting over my initial freak-out, I realized that the situation could easily be handled by just looking at the other options that were out there again. We didn’t want to spend a huge amount of money and that was really the biggest stumbling block with getting the furniture to begin with. Reasonably priced and good quality was basically what we were looking for, which made things a bit difficult since most places were completely overpriced. For instance, at a few spots we looked we could’ve spent around $1,000 for just a crib. To me, that’s just way too much.

So to look at all the options again, I hit the Internet and the first place I stopped at was Target. I found a well priced convertible crib and dresser to match, which were actually two of the pieces of furniture that we originally looked at, at Target months ago. At that time though, they didn’t have any in stock and I was a bit bummed. However, this time around, the local store in Bellevue, WI did have both in stock. In a flash, I was on the phone and they put it on hold for me. They were out of the changing table, yet I didn’t care because I figure we can get by without one. Or if we really need one, I’ll just buy something later. 

The crib we decided on!
Anyway, after the horrible customer service experience we had at Toys “R” Us, I was a bit leery that the furniture I put on hold was actually going to be on hold, waiting for us to pick it up at Target. When I went into guest services, I told the customer service person that I had two pieces of furniture on hold. She asked what they were and after telling her, she said that yes, they were on hold and that she actually saw them in the back room. First hurdle jumped over. Then, she said to give them a few minutes to have them brought up by us. About two minutes later, the crib and dresser appeared before our eyes and we double checked to make sure they were the right finish. We got confirmation that they were, so, we got over the second hurdle. From there, we paid for everything and then she said to pull up front and that they would help us load it up. When we pulled up, three Target customer service people were outside waiting with our furniture and all three helped load it into our SUV. They wouldn’t even let Dave help them! Third and final hurdle cleared! It was completely amazing. We were in and out of Target in 15 or so minutes and it was one of the best customer service experiences that I have ever had, totally making up for the snafu that we had to deal with at that other crappy store! I must say, Target, thank you for coming to the rescue!

Now, there is one thing that I realized from this whole buying furniture extravaganza. It’s that things happen for a reason. By not getting what we wanted from Toys “R” Us, we were able to get the furniture that I originally wanted from Target. It’s weird sometimes how things just work out and I’m trying now to look at the positive side from everything that happened instead of the negative!

With that said, I bid you farewell and stay tuned, because my next post is going to be all about my baby shower that is on tap for this weekend. It should be fun and I want to thank my Mom and co-worker/friend Kim A. for that work that they put into getting it together! You ladies ROCK!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't use a changing table - we bought a changing pad and put it on top of the dresser, with the diapers and stuff in the top drawer. To me, a changing table is a waste of space, since you will only use it for a few months. Once he learns how to roll, you will have a heart attack every three seconds while you are changing him, give up and end up changing him on the floor every time!

    ReplyDelete