Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Is it wrong that I want my son to play sports?

So this morning, I’m watching Mike and Mike In the Morning on ESPN2 and a thought just popped into my mind and I want to write about it quick. I was thinking, is it wrong that I want Ryan to play sports just like I did? 

I think everyone who is a parent wants their child to take part in the same things that they themselves enjoy and for me, that’s being an athlete and playing sports. For other parents it might be playing the piano or cooking or making movies. However for me, it's sports and I guess the question I’m grappling with is not whether or not it’s wrong that I want my little man to play sports, but is it wrong that I’m doing whatever I can to get him to like them as much as I do? So, I’m slowly introducing things to him and I’m afraid at some point that I’m going to end up just forcing it on him and that’s not what I want to do at all. I want him to decide what he likes and doesn’t like, thus, I’m not sure how much is too much?

For example, one of the first toys that I got him was a football. Sure, it wasn’t a real football since it’s basically shaped like a football and is full of holes so he can grab it. I got it for him for two reasons. The first is because he’s starting to use his hands to grab things pretty much  non-stop, so, instead of reaching for my hair or pulling at my hands when we’re playing, I wanted to give him something else to reach and grab for. He really seems to like it and occasionally he’ll inadvertently throw it. It’s kind of funny and makes us both giggle a whole bunch. :)

Ryan's first football! :)
Now, the second reason I got it for him was because yes, the toy is in the shape of a football and I would like it if someday, he is up for playing sports just like me. So, I’ve introduced him to something sport related at an early age in hopes of that. And for the record, the little guy does have other toys too including a cute little monkey rattle along with a fun teddy bear and a few other toys appropriate for his age.

As a family, we do like watching sports together, especially the Packers on Sunday. It’s just a nice way to for all of us to bond and while we watch the Packers take the team's opponent that week, we generally cuddle, play, and just have a good time. Sometimes Dave and I joke about how Ryan might be a left handed relief pitcher someday or a place kicker, even a professional golfer. It’s all in fun though since him being those things would be cool, yet, it’s ultimately up to him what he wants to pursue in life. Whatever he decides to do, as long as it’s positive and productive, is something that I’ll be proud of him for!

To be honest, I guess I don’t see anything wrong with trying to get him to like sports at an early age and I am going to do my best to keep things balanced to open his eyes to other things as well. I read to him every day, we also listen to music, and my goal is to introduce him to as many other activities I can as soon as he is able. The biggest thing that I’m worried about is if he doesn’t like sports and I just force him into it anyway. I just do not, repeat, do not want to do that and I think because I realize now what I don’t want to do that I’m not going to do it. I do not want to be one of those overzealous parents that burn out their children with things their children don’t really want to do. It’s pretty sad to say the least. To make sure I’m not one of them, I’m preparing myself to be ready just in case Ryan doesn’t want to play sports. It will break my heart, but I need to be ready if it happens.

Basically like I said, I think things are all about balance when it comes to wanting your child to do something whether it’s playing sports or an instrument or whatever. By doing that, then I believe that you open up different options for him or her and then he or she can decide what he or she wants to do. I’m going to go with that approach for now. I think it's a good one. We'll see what happens! :) If you readers out there have any tips or suggestions, please let me know! And with that, this is Carla the new mom and tomboy signing off!

1 comment:

  1. No, it's not bad to want your son to be into the same things you're into. It's only natural. But I'd try not to over-invest in something that he may not enjoy. Accept that he may change his interests as he grows up. I myself have hopes for my unborn son but I am working on having realistic expectations. In the end I just want him to be happy.

    ReplyDelete