Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Ooh, that’s not gas!

It took me a little while to realize that the stomach discomfort I was feeling wasn’t gas, but was actually my little guy moving about in my belly! Yeah, I know that sounds super weird, yet it’s the truth so proceed to laugh because there’s no reason not to. 

Okay, now that you got your chuckle out of the way, I just wanted to go into why I thought I was having stomach problems instead of realizing what was going on. The reason is, is because that’s what he felt like a few weeks ago. My tummy was uncomfortable and I felt like I had some digestion issues. I never thought that’s what the baby would feel like until I asked a few friends and other people who were pregnant in the past what it felt like when you started to feel your baby. Most of them said, “It feels like you have really bad gas.” Then a little light bulb went off in my head and I was like, duh, that’s my little baby moving about in my belly. It was a surreal moment and something that I’ll never forget since it meant that my baby was growing and becoming a little person. Super kewl.

The term that is used to describe a mother first feeling her baby move is called quickening. According to Wikipedia, it's defined as:

“the moment of quickening refers to the initial motion of the fetus in the uterus as it is perceived or felt by the pregnant woman.”

Over the last few weeks, I’ve noticed that my baby has certain positions that he likes due to the fact that I can feel pressure in certain areas of my stomach more than others. For example, he totally enjoys burrowing on my left side. Occasionally, he’ll sit in the middle of my stomach and sometimes, he’ll migrate lower and rest right on top of my bladder, which isn’t all that fun for me since, you guessed it, causes me to have to visit the bathroom even more than I have to already. Dave my husband pointed out why our baby likes my left side so much the other day and that’s because I sleep on my left side more than my right. It makes sense and something that I overlooked just like with feeling my baby for the first time due to the fact that for some reason I no longer have common sense. It’s like when I got pregnant, my common sense flew out the window. Hopefully after the baby comes, it will return, but who knows!

Now, the only real uncomfortable position that I’ve noticed him frequent is when he goes up right under my rib cage. He did this over the weekend and it was like, dude, what are you doing up there? It made it really hard for me to breath and as I’m writing this, he’s actually making his way up there right now!  Interesting, I guess the two of us are connected. Sweet.  Anyway, I’m crossing my fingers that this won’t happen often, however, I do realize he’s only going to get bigger and there’s only so many places that he can go. So, it’s just going to be one of those things I’ll have to deal with as with all those other uncomfortable pregnancy moments. It’s all worth it though because the end result is a cute little bundle of joy!

Well, that’s all for today. I bid you farewell and until next time, this is Carla the tomboy signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment