Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

We like the Olympics!

As a kid, one of my favorite things to do was watch the Olympics on TV. Whenever it was on, whether it be the summer or the winter games, I was hooked and there was nothing anyone could do to pull me away from the TV until it was over. I would watch it even if there was a chance to go to Chuck E. Cheese on the line! Then, when the Olympics did finally end, you could see me doing laps around the yard like the track and field runners or sledding down my parents’ hill in the backyard pretending I was doing the luge. So having the Olympics on during my maternity leave has been really kewl because it gives Ryan and me a special way to bond. It lets me relieve my childhood a bit while being able to spend time with him. :) 

Okay, let me say that I understand that the little guy can’t really watch the Olympics with me, but it does give us something to do together when he just feels like being held and kept close. I hold him, make him feel comfortable and secure and at the same time, get to watch people pursue their dreams. We have been watching during our play time as well. It’s kind of funny actually since I picture him swimming when he’s kicking up a storm during tummy time or when he’s on his back swatting away with his hands, I think about him boxing or something. I know, it’s all pretty premature, but it’s still fun to think about!  

Now since the Olympics are on pretty much day and night and on a whole bunch of channels, we’ve been watching all kinds of events these past few weeks. One of my favorites so far, and Ryan’s too, would have to be team handball. Really, team handball is where it’s at because it’s a cross between basketball, soccer, and football. Bodies are flying all over the place and it’s just interesting to watch. Another sport that has kept my attention is women’s soccer. In the past, wasn’t much of a soccer fan, yet watching the US women’s team play has been entertaining and when the team won the gold medal over Japan, it was an inspiring site to see. I also enjoy watching track and field, especially the field events. The pole vault is crazy! It takes a lot of balls to fly high up into the air to try to get over a bar only to clear that bar and fall onto a padded mat. I tried it once in college and once was enough for me.

Not sure what's up, but at least they look happy!
We don’t like all of the sports that are on the Olympics though and sometimes I wonder why they’re even considered a sport at all. Case in point, synchronized swimming. Sure, you have to be fit to do it, yet it’s not timed, it’s judged and all of the swimmers look so darn creepy. I don’t know, it just puts me off for some reason.  Table tennis kind of baffles me too. It’s more of a hobby, like a way to pass the time from my perspective. Just something to do when you’re bored and to have it be a sport pretty much boggles my mind. They don’t sweat or anything and at one point, I woke Ryan up with how hard I was laughing when men’s doubles table tennis was on. There wasn’t enough room for them all to be around that little table, it was just comical. And I don’t mean to make fun, I’m just saying.

When the Olympics come to an end, I’m going to be a little sad, yet in two years we’ll get to watch the winter games and in four years, we’ll get to watch the summer games again. It’s something to look forward to! With that, I must be off! It’s time for Ryan and me to go for a little walk. I say little because I’m still not able to do a whole bunch, however, there will be a time when I’ll be doing triathlons again! So, until my next blog post, it’s Carla the tomboy, and new mom, saying farewell!  

No comments:

Post a Comment